Arthur H. Merry Generator House
(1935)
Fort Gordon, Georgia

Arthur H. Merry Generator House (1935) Fort Gordon, Georgia

The Arthur Holmes Merry Generator House (HAER GA-92) at Signal (Scout) Lake, Fort Gordon was among the oldest private water-powered structures in Georgia. The generator supplied electricity to a nearby private home and pavilion owned by Arthur Holmes Merry, founder of Merry Brick Company, one of the largest brick manufacturers in the United States and an integral part of the local Augusta economy. The overshot wheel at the Generator House was typical of hydraulic systems used in the Richmond and Columbia county areas to provide power to grist and saw-mills. Documentation for the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) was performed with Panamerican Consultants, Inc. as part of the Fort Gordon Directorate of Public Works program to reestablish wetland resources on the Army base.

Corner Structure Detail - HAER GA-92-02 (Please credit Daniel R. Pratt and the Historic American Engineering Record)