New Ulm Roadside Parking Area
(1939)
New Ulm, Minnesota

New Ulm Roadside Parking Area (1939) New Ulm, Minnesota

Designed by landscape architect Arthur Nichols for the Minnesota Highway Department, the red quartzite-faced retaining wall, spring outlet, and trail steps at the New Ulm Spring Wayside Parking Area were erected in 1939 by the National Youth Administration, a division of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s federal relief programs. Large format photography for the Minnesota Historic Property Record (MHPR) was performed for Gemini Research.

Additional information about Minnesota’s statewide inventory of historic roadside development facilities can be found at the National Park Service.

Spring Outlet and Basin - MHPR NL-CTT-006-05 (Please credit Daniel R. Pratt and the Minnesota Historic Property Record)

Steps to Picnic Area - MHPR NL-CTT-006-10 (Please credit Daniel R. Pratt and the Minnesota Historic Property Record)