South Breakwater Light
(1901)
Duluth, Minnesota

South Breakwater Light (1901) Duluth, Minnesota

The South Breakwater Light (MHPR SL-DUL-2003) was designed by United States Army Corps of Engineers Major Thomas Hansberry and has served as a navigational beacon at the entrance to the Duluth Ship Canal since its construction in 1901. Its fourth order Fresnel lens was manufactured in 1877 by the Barbier & Fenestre company of Paris, France and was in continuous use on the South Breakwater until its removal in 2015. The light is considered a contributing element of the Duluth Ship Canal Historic District. Large format photographic documentation for the Minnesota Historic Property Record (MHPR) was performed for the US Coast Guard under contract with Tetra Tech, Inc. (Minneapolis).

South Breakwater Light - SL-DUL-2003-02 (Please credit Daniel R. Pratt and the Minnesota Historic Property Record)

Lantern Exterior - MHPR SL-DUL-2003-04 (Please credit Daniel R. Pratt and the Minnesota Historic Property Record)

South Breakwater Light Fresnel Lens (North Pier Light in background) - SL-DUL-2003-10 (Please credit Daniel R. Pratt and the Minnesota Historic Property Record)

Lens Access Door - MHPR SL-DUL-2003-09 (Please credit Daniel R. Pratt and the Minnesota Historic Property Record)

Cast Iron Fresnel Lens Pedestal - SL-DUL-2003-12 (Please credit Daniel R. Pratt and the Minnesota Historic Property Record)